[Milton-L] Memorization

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Mon Feb 23 14:53:09 EST 2004

>I suppose I can let the Anglicans speak for themselves, eh?

This Angican could probably reel off large chuncks of the
liturgy from memory, from the heart too. As one who leads
worship, I am always glad to have the Altar Book where I can
see it.  More experienced priests than I say it's really
humiliating to say, forget the words to The Lord's Prayer.

For me the genius of using a set but also flexible liturgy is
that I come to the same words each time from somewhat or
dramatically different place in my life in the world, my
prayer life. I don't have to invent words for there I am -
they are there, and I don't have to remember all that I
should be praying for - it's there in front of me.

Cynthia
Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU
JMU Safe Zones participant