[Milton-L] Memorization

James Rovira jrovira at drew.edu
Mon Feb 23 13:35:12 EST 2004

It comes from my experience in both types of churches.  Ms. Cox's
"IbelieveinGodthefathermakerofheavenandearth" was very reminiscent of my
days as a child in the Catholic Church.  I recently attended a Catholic
wedding and found I still remembered a good bit of the Mass, and what I
didn't remember felt right on the tip of my tongue.  My experience in
Evangelical churches (I probably should have said this instead of
Prostestant) leads me to believe that rote memorization is anathema to them.

I suppose I can let the Anglicans speak for themselves, eh?

For my part, I'm for the memorization and recitation of poetry when it's
poetry that's written with some consideration for the sound of the words.

Jim