[Milton-L] Memorization

John Rumrich rumrich at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Feb 23 11:52:42 EST 2004

On Feb 22, 2004, at 6:11 PM, John Leonard wrote:

>  I don't see it as learning by
> rote, but learning by heart.

I cordially accept the substitution.  Thanks, John.

Still, and without wishing to seem adversarial toward those who disdain
memorization at something like an autonomic level, I confess I take
pleasure in the mere sound and strive to memorize favorite verses so
that I could be almost unconscious, hermeneutically inert, and still
recite them.  I like it best when they pop into my head unbidden,
without the bias of having been sought.  It's the reverse of the
frustration I feel when "You should be driving a Mazda" (to the tune of
La Bamba) comes up in my mind and won't leave.

John