[Milton-L] teaching practices

Duran, Angelica ADuran at sla.purdue.edu
Mon Feb 23 12:38:40 EST 2004

Hello, scholars,

Ascertaining the student's intended answer is a very question to me.  I want to have fair practices so that I do assume that the "good" student knows the answer and  the "bad" student does not.  I have had the experience of teaching survey courses in which -- despite repeated historical contextualization, references to allusions between, for example, Milton and Blake, etc. -- exams display students' lack of knowledge of historical context.

On a positive note: it was nice to see my students take up my challenge to "wow me" on the exam.  For the question that asked for Milton's birth and death date, some students actually wrote " December 9th 1608 at 6:30 a.m. - November 1674" or, in one case, "I cannot remember the death date but it was the same year that PL in twelve books was published."

Adios,

Angelica Duran
Assistant Professor
English Department