[Milton-L] teaching practices

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Feb 23 10:39:21 EST 2004

> LEEJACOBUS at aol.com wrote:
>
> Regarding the 1937 date I would remind us that in a Random House
> series of anthologies on 17th century literature, the very same error
> was made by a very prominent scholar in dating John Donne.  And it was
> made in an early page.  These things do happen.  Lee J.

I don't quite see why it is even a question. It should simply be taken
for granted that the student knows the century, and not even mentioned,
let alone penalized. I suspect that it happens many times on exams and
the instructor doesn't even notice it her/himself.

This sort of things contributes to what Northrop Frye called the
reputation of English teachers as being professional scolds.

Carrol