[Milton-L] teaching practices

tom bishop tgb2 at po.cwru.edu
Mon Feb 23 11:05:26 EST 2004

Angelica Duran quotes the following "At birth, there is not much
difference between man and man, but superiority lies with he who is
reared in the severest school" attributing it tentatively to
Archidamus.  It is recorded by Thucydides in his history (Book 1
chapter 84, section 4), where it is indeed given to Archidamus as
part of his speech attempting unsuccessfully to dissuade the Spartans
from going to war against the Athenians. I thought it might be of
interest to the list to provide the context:

"We are both warlike and wise, and it is our sense of order that
makes us so. We are warlike, because self-control contains honor as a
chief constituent, and honor bravery. And we are wise, because we are
educated with too little learning to despise the laws, and with too
severe a self-control to disobey them, and are brought up not to be
too knowing in useless matters,--such as the knowledge which can give
a specious criticism of an enemy's plans in theory, but fails to
assail them with equal success in practice,--but are taught to
consider that the schemes of our enemies are not dissimilar to our
own, and that the freaks of chance are not determinable by
calculation. In practice we always base our preparations against an
enemy on the assumption that his plans are good; indeed, it is right
to rest our hopes not on a belief in his blunders, but on the
soundness of our provisions. Nor ought we to believe that there is
much difference between man and man, but to think that the
superiority lies with him who is reared in the severest school.
(85.1) These practices, then, which our ancestors have delivered to
us, and by whose maintenance we have always profited, must not be
given up. And we must not be hurried into deciding in a day's brief
space a question which concerns many lives and fortunes and many
cities, and in which honor is deeply involved,--but we must decide
calmly. This our strength peculiarly enables us to do."

The severity of the Spartan school was, of course, as well-known for
its brutalizing narrow-mindedness as for its effectiveness at turning
out superior soldiers.  I do not recall that it is recorded what
Milton thought of the Spartan system, but it is hard to imagine he
would have regarded it with anything but horror.

Tom