[Milton-L] Split-Reader

Deborah Dale dariel at whidbey.com
Mon Feb 23 01:37:05 EST 2004

Forgive me if the answer to this question is common knowledge, but I am a
librarian and not a professor of literature.  Stanley Fish defined the
split-reader in _Paradise Lost_ as one who follows a "yes no yes no" train
of thought.  I am wondering, for those of you who teach this text, whether
you have witnessed students exhibiting this type of thinking, or whether you
have openly discussed this reading behavior in class. I am not doubting the
split-reader exists.  Rather, I would like to find out how often the
behavior happens and whether there may be other texts written during the
same time period or prior to Milton that follow the same deliberate pattern:
yes no yes no.

Debbie Dale