[Milton-L] memorizing, dates and passages

jfleming at sfu.ca jfleming at sfu.ca
Sun Feb 22 13:43:04 EST 2004

I must confess that I am dubious about both these mnemonic pedagogies. Both seem to me unintellectual, and hermeneutically unproductive. On dates: is it such a significant activity to pin texts, like so many tails, on the historical donkey? On passages: is this how far (or how near) we've come in the last 150 years of literary professionalism -- are the natural scientists right, in other words, when they suppose that English class is just locution and belles-lettres?

J.D. Fleming

Dr. James Dougal Fleming,
Assistant Professor of English,
Simon Fraser University,