[Milton-L] memorizing dates

John Rumrich rumrich at mail.utexas.edu
Sun Feb 22 14:22:08 EST 2004

Like Captain Harper, I require students to memorize passages (usually a
total of 75-80 lines) in every undergraduate course in which we are
reading poetry, even the mandatory sophomore intro to lit.  The
students must deliver the lines orally; this helps them to recognize
the difference between reading poems with their eyes and hearing them
with their ears ("oozy locks he laves" with all its potential for
liason is a useful example to cite in class--write it on the board and
then say it out loud; they'll understand).  There's also a story I have
them read called ladle rat rotten hut (little red riding hood) and the
anomalous woof, which generally won't be understood until someone reads
it out loud.

Students who come into class entirely innocent of prosody will, after
memorization, honestly understand what "iambic pentameter" means.
Their appreciation of poetic syntax and their comprehension of what
they are reading increase dramatically.

Some students find the assignment oppressive.  I explain it on the
first day of class and encourage them to drop the course if the
prospect of memorization is repellant.  I justify the assignment
historically.  We live in the first period of history where technology
permits intrusion into our skulls in the most mundane and involuntary
manner.  Elizabeth could coerce attendance at church once a week.  They
all memorize things they don't choose to memorize all the time, without
any volitional effort.  They never set out to memorize the ingredients
of a big mac or the lyrics to some milli vanilli song; they just know
them.  This assignment affords them a chance to reshape a small portion
of their minds through active and instructive discipline.  They get to
choose the passages from Milton or Shakespeare they want; so there is
some autonomy, and a lot of beauty to choose from.

I grew up when memorization had gone out of fashion, except in
catechism school.  The deep interior value and multiple benefits of
rote learning are for me a discovery of adulthood.  Hence my evangelism
about this.  Your indulgence please if I've droned on for too long.

Johnny Mnemonic