[Milton-L] memorizing dates

Boyd M Berry bberry at mail1.vcu.edu
Sun Feb 22 11:15:25 EST 2004

A colleague teaching intro to close reading has his students copy the poem
or poems by hand, with pen and ink.  I'm thinking of adopting this
strategy, which seemed odd to me at first.  It's not memorizing, to be
sure, but it might have the effect of getting students to attend to each
and every word.

Douglas Bush had students memorize 10 lines of PL.  I remember my
selection, and am glad my exposition of the lines is not in the public
domain.  But I can still do the opening of "Snowbound" from 8th grade.

Boyd Berry