[Milton-L] teaching practices

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Feb 20 12:47:00 EST 2004

Full credit. I've seen the century misidentified in published work. (As
we get well into the 21st century, with no leading 1 in the dates we
write every day, this error will appear less often.

At Michigan nearly a half century ago a friend took a course in the
Romantic poets in which they only studied Wordsworth for the first half
of the course, and the mid-term questions were, of course, all on
Wordsworth. When he got his test back, it had a grade of D. He went to
the professor and asked what had been wrong. Answer: he hadn't
identified Wordsworth as the author of the poems he discussed. Don, in
recounting this to me, said, "I opened my mouth -- and then closed it.
If he could say that, then  nothing I could say would make any
difference."

Carrol