[Milton-L] teaching practices

Duran, Angelica ADuran at sla.purdue.edu
Fri Feb 20 13:48:21 EST 2004

Hello,

I welcome the many responses I have already received, most of which address fundamental issues as to what the purposes of an exams are and how compassionate instructors are to be.  I believe midterm exams primarily (but by no means exclusively) enable students to display knowledge of the course materials and experience performance of knowledge, with all its anxieties, surprising brilliance, and more.

The mistake of "1937" and "1637" may indeed be related to dyslexia. I have dyslexia. I attribute my success at math and other disciplines that utilize numbers quite a lot, like history, on my tough, caring teachers. As I now struggle to adapt using numerals (3.2.10-16) rather than Roman numerals (III.ii.10-16) for references in plays, I continue to remind myself of the phrase: "At birth, there is not much difference between man and man, but superiority lies with he who is reared in the severest school" (King Archidamos, Sparta?).

Thank you for helping me with this case, with my ongoing self-construction as a great teacher (!!), and with reminding me what a thoughtful and smart bunch you are.

Adios,

Angelica Duran
Assistant Professor
English Department