[Milton-L] references about Milton's homeschool

Carol Barton cbartonphd at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 20 08:53:50 EST 2004

A typo is very different from a clear substitution of names, Diane---something to which I am particularly sensitive, having made the same kind of mistake myself. If you knew Professor Lewalski, as many of the contributors to this list do, you would know that not in anyone's wildest nightmare could she be confused with Monica Lewinski (so the substitution was an amusing one, which is the only reason why I responded in open forum). I wasn't making fun of you personally---just smiling at the preposterousness of a Lewalski/Lewinski conflation.

You might want to have a look at John Spencer Hill's John Milton: Poet, Priest, and Prophet, as well as William Kerrigan's Prophetic Milton, Diane. Kepler is a bigger challenge (you will need to know the connections with Galileo, Brahe, and Copernicus, as well as Kepler's place in astronomy, to understand the irony of his lifelong search for the "music of the spheres"), but both are worthwhile projects.

Good luck with your research!

Carol Barton