[Milton-L] references about Milton's homeschool

Diane Yoder eiranngirl at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 20 13:36:29 EST 2004

Ah, Carol, you did it too...Lewalkski.....Lewalski....

Please forgive...I have 19 credits, all of which require many papers, and so my fingers did the walking being disconnected from my brain.   I have a Milton class which has just started.  The professor for this class recommended the Lewalski wholeheartedly, and of course, there are many other worthy precursors to Lewalski.  Precisely the reason I called Lewalski's work "comprehensive" is because she has included many, many other sources as well  as the ones  Carol has delineated below.

I am rather a new Milton scholar, so am looking forward to learning all I can here as well as from my course.  Currently I am working on two papers--Milton as a prophetic poet, and the second regards the theory of the music of the spheres, Kepler, and God in 17th century thought. It was kind of you to set me straight, and recommend some items which I had not considered before. As one of my eminent professors once stated:

We are all well read in different things.

Cheers...
Carol Barton <cbartonphd at earthlink.net> wrote:
The seminal biography is still W.R. Parker's, by the way, which you seem to have omitted, Angelica---along with a dozen elaborations on and extensions of it by John T. Shawcross, and earlier biographies by Todd and Toland and Masson, as well as lesser works by Symmons, et al.---on all of which Lewalkski built her "comprehensive" biography. They will be easy to find in any reasonable academic library catalogue.

Best,

Carol Barton
"Duran, Angelica" <ADuran at sla.purdue.edu> wrote:

Hello, scholars,

I am interested in finding and confirming information about the material and practical aspects of Milton's homeschool: how much did Barry's and Jones' family pay Milton?  how big was Milton's home when he was teaching? etc.  I am on my way to pick up old favorites -- French's Life Records, Darbishire's Early Lives, Milton Encyclopedia -- as well as DuRocher's Milton Among the Romans and recent biographies.  I wonder if any of you might have any other good resources you could recommend.

Many thanks.

Adios,

Angelica Duran
Assistant Professor
English Department
Purdue University
500 Oval Drive
West Lafayette, Indiana 47907-2048
USA
(765) 496-3957, phone
(765) 494-3780, fax
<aduran at sla.purdue.edu>

---

I live my life in growing rings
which move out over the things around me.
Perhaps I'll never complete the last,
but that's what I mean to try.

I'm circling around God, around the ancient tower,
and I've been circling thousands years;
and I still don't know: am I a falcon, a storm
or a great song.

Ich lebe mein leben im wachsenden Ringen,
die sich über die Dingen ziehen.
Ich werde den letzen vielleicht nicht volbringen,
aber versuchen will ich ihn.

Ich kreise um Gott, um den uralten Turm,
und ich kreise jahrtausendelang;
und ich weiß nocht nicht: bin ich ein Falke, ein Sturm
oder ein großer Gesang.
--Rainer Maria Rilke