[Milton-L] references about Milton's homeschool

Carol Barton cbartonphd at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 19 17:24:40 EST 2004

The seminal biography is still W.R. Parker's, by the way, which you seem to have omitted, Angelica---along with a dozen elaborations on and extensions of it by John T. Shawcross, and earlier biographies by Todd and Toland and Masson, as well as lesser works by Symmons, et al.---on all of which Lewalkski built her "comprehensive" biography. They will be easy to find in any reasonable academic library catalogue.

Best,

Carol Barton
  "Duran, Angelica" <ADuran at sla.purdue.edu> wrote:
    Hello, scholars,

    I am interested in finding and confirming information about the material and practical aspects of Milton's homeschool: how much did Barry's and Jones' family pay Milton?  how big was Milton's home when he was teaching? etc.  I am on my way to pick up old favorites -- French's Life Records, Darbishire's Early Lives, Milton Encyclopedia -- as well as DuRocher's Milton Among the Romans and recent biographies.  I wonder if any of you might have any other good resources you could recommend.

    Many thanks.

    Adios,

    Angelica Duran
    Assistant Professor