[Milton-L]

Derek Wood dwood at stfx.ca
Wed Feb 4 13:09:57 EST 2004

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: William Poole
  To: milton-l at koko.richmond.edu
  Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 8:43 AM
  Subject: [Milton-L]

  Dear Miltonists --
  I wonder if anyone out there has an answer to an old question.
  In 1853, R. Brook Aspland suggested that a fairy extensive Latin note in the Bodleian copy of Paul Best's Socinian Mysteries Discovered (1647) espoused Arian views parallel to those of the De Doctrina. Aspland said that he thought the note was by Milton. I know McLachlan in his 1951 Socinianism in 17C England revisited this (160-2), but I know no more. I haven't seen the book itself yet. Anyone know anything else about this?
  All best,
  Will Poole
  Dr. William Poole
  Research Fellow in English