[Milton-L]

William Poole wep21 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 4 12:43:25 EST 2004

Dear Miltonists --
I wonder if anyone out there has an answer to an old question.
In 1853, R. Brook Aspland suggested that a fairy extensive Latin note in the Bodleian copy of Paul Best's Socinian Mysteries Discovered (1647) espoused Arian views parallel to those of the De Doctrina. Aspland said that he thought the note was by Milton. I know McLachlan in his 1951 Socinianism in 17C England revisited this (160-2), but I know no more. I haven't seen the book itself yet. Anyone know anything else about this?
All best,
Will Poole
Dr. William Poole
Research Fellow in English