[Milton-L] Milton Help

Noam Flinker flinker at dept.english.upenn.edu
Tue Feb 3 16:05:06 EST 2004

Aside from Peter Herman's most important suggestions about Jeffrey
Shoulson's  Milton and the Rabbis and Jason Rosenblatt's _Torah and Law
in Paradise Lost_, I suggest that you have a look at earlier attempts at
treating this issue.  The problem, however, is that these are very often
not entirely reliable.  The most famous of these problematic texts is
Denis Saurat's _Milton: Man and Thinker_ which claimed, among other
points, that Milton had been influenced by the _Zohar_.  (R. J. Zwi
Werblowski exploded that myth in an article  in _JWCI_ in the early
1950's.) Be very wary of Harris Fletcher's work but certainly have a
look.  Harold Fisch's _Jerusalem and Albion_ is useful in general and
his article in Ronald D. Emma and John T. Shawcross's _Language and
Style in Milton: A Symposium ..._  [NY, 1967], 30-64 ("Hebraic Style and
Motifs in Paradise Lost" ) is more specifically concerned with Milton's
epic.

Noam Flinker
University of Haifa