[Milton-L] Selected Bibliography

Jeffrey Shoulson jshoulson at miami.edu
Mon Feb 2 14:19:18 EST 2004

Many thanks to those of you who wrote to me on- and off-list with
suggestions for my selected bibliography to guide beginning grad
students in the historical context(s) of the seventeenth century.
to all, here is the list that I have accumulated so far, which includes
the suggestions by you and some of my own additions.
If, when you read this list, you are suddenly reminded of a resource
that simply must be included, I would be delighted to hear more
suggestions.  This is a list that will be useful to me now and in the
future.
Best wishes to all,
Jeffrey Shoulson

Political, Religious and Social History of Britain in the Seventeenth
Century
A Selected Bibliography

Aston, T.H. and C.H.E. Philpin, eds. The Brenner Debate: Agrarian Class
Structure and Economic Development in Pre-Industrial Europe.
Barbour, Reid. Literature and Religious Culture in Seventeenth-Century
England.
Brenner, Robert Merchants and Revolution: Commercial Change, Political
Conflict, and London's Overseas Traders, 1550-1663.
Bucholz, Robert and Newton Key, eds. Early Modern England 1485-1714: A
Narrative History.
Burgess, Glenn. The Politics of the Ancient Constitution to English
Political Thought, 1603-1642.
Burns, J. H. and Mark Goldie, eds. The Cambridge History of Political
Thought, 1450-1700.
Coward, Barry.  The Stuart Age:  England, 1603-1714.
Ferrell, Lori Anne. Government By Polemic : James I, the King’s
Preachers, and the Rhetorics of Conformity, 1603-1625.
Hibbert, Christopher.  Cavaliers & Roundheads:  The English Civil War,
1642-1649.
Hill, Christopher.  Milton and the English Revolution.
Keeble, N., ed. The Cambridge Companion to Writing of the English
Revolution.
Kenyon, J. P.  Stuart England.
Kishlansky, Mark.  A Monarchy Transformed:  Britain, 1603-1714.
Lake, Peter with Michael Questier.  The Anti-Christ’s Lewd Hat :
Protestants, Papists and Players in Post-Reformation England.
Lamont, William and Sybil Oldfield, eds. Politics, Religion, and
Literature in the Seventeenth Century.
Loewenstein, David and Janel Mueller, eds. The Cambridge History of
Early Modern English Literature.
McKeon, Michael. The Origins of the English Novel 1600-1740.
Mooers, Colin. The Making of Bourgeois Europe: Absolutism, Revolution,
and the Rise of Capitalism in England, France and Germany.
Sommerville, Johann P. Politics and Ideology in England 1603-1640.
Spurr, John. English Puritanism, 1603-1689.
Trevor-Roper, Hugh.  From Counter-Reformation to Glorious Revolution.
Wedgwood, C. V.  The Great Rebellion. 2 Volumes.
Wood, Ellen Meiksins & Neal Wood. A Trumpet of Sedition: Political
Theory and the Rise of Capitalism 1509-1688
Wood, Ellen Meiksins. The Pristine Culture of Capitalism: A Historical
Essay on Old Regimes and Modern States.

_______________
Jeffrey S. Shoulson, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Department of English
Director, Program in Judaic Studies
5202 University Drive
105 Merrick Building, Rm. 109
Coral Gables, FL 33124-2018