[Milton-L] PL and the sabbath, etc.

Dan Knauss daniel.knauss at mu.edu
Wed Dec 22 10:09:57 EST 2004

Thank you Professor Shoulston for that excellent summary, especially the
tie-in to Protestant thinkers. I know that some 19th and 20th-century
Calvinist theologians and philosophers continued the 16th-17thC tradition of
bypassing some patristic and classical anthropology in favor of restoring
what they see as a Hebrew (as opposed to Hellenic) model. I have wondered
what predecessors they may have had. Perhaps Luther--I recall that he
inisted on a non/anti-Platonic reading of Romans to understand what St. Paul
meant by carnal and spiritual. BTW, the Eastern Orthodox Christian
traditions are very platonic but anti-Aristotelian, but they don't seem to
have developed the anxieties about sex that pertained in the west. But to be
fair, Aquinas seems pretty moderate on the subject. -Dan Knauss