[Milton-L] PL and the sabbath, etc.

Jeffrey Shoulson jshoulson at miami.edu
Wed Dec 22 09:42:59 EST 2004

Dan Knauss wrote:

> Fascinating stuff. Are there any theories as to why this sort of
> thinking
> didn't translate into Christianity--but quite the reverse?

Needless to say, it's far too complicated a matter to address fully in
this forum.  In part, I think, the answers lies in the origins of
rabbinic Judaism (ca. 2nd-6th cent. CE) as it sought to distinguish
itself from the rise of Christianity (these were, after all,
coeval--rabbinic Judaism is as different from biblical "Judaism" as
Christianity is).  As the Church Fathers incorporated a dualistic
ontology owing its origins to Platonic philosophy (among other things)
that inevitably denigrated the value of the body--and by extension, the
importance of bodily pleasure--the rabbis responded by (re-)asserting
the importance of carnality in all its aspects.  I'm summarizing here a
far more complex analysis that is indebted, in particular, to Daniel
Boyarin's study of rabbinic Judaism (see, for instance, his Carnal
Israel).  If you're really interested, I can humbly suggest that you
take a look at my book, Milton and the Rabbis, for a longer version of
this argument.
With the Reformation, one actually does see, in some few instances, an
attempt at (re-)incorporating these more "Jewish" views of the body
(and marriage, etc.) into Christianity.  Selden is probably the most
prominent English example.  His Uxor Ebraica shows astonishing
erudition in Jewish texts and, as Jason Rosenblatt has argued in his
Torah and Law in PL, it was especially influential for Milton as he
developed his own arguments about marriage and divorce as revealed in
the divorce tracts and in the pre-lapsarian books of PL.
That's an attempt--on one foot, as the rabbis would say--to begin an
answer to the "why."
Best wishes,
Jeffrey Shoulson

____________
Jeffrey S. Shoulson, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Department of English
Director, Program in Judaic Studies
Fellow, Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies
University of Miami
5202 University Drive
105 Merrick Building, Rm. 109
Coral Gables, FL 33124

o: 305.284.8180
f: 305.284.8190
m: 305.742.6973

http://www.as.miami.edu/judaic/

"Books are to be call’d for, and supplied, on the assumption that the
process of reading is not a half-sleep, but, in highest sense, an
exercise, a gymnast’s struggle; that the reader is to do something for
himself, must be on the alert, must himself or herself construct indeed
the poem, argument, history, metaphysical essay—the text furnishing the
hints, the clue, the start or frame-work. Not the book needs so much to
be the complete thing, but the reader of the book does. "
					--Walt Whitman