[Milton-L] PL and the Sabbath and classical myth

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Tue Dec 21 16:11:28 EST 2004

>   We need to remember that before and during Milton's
>   day much value was seen in classical myth. Even
>   during the Middle Ages Dante employed Vergil as his
>   guide in the afterlife. During the Renaissance
>   classical myth was considered symbolic of universal
>   Christian truth.

Having just finished teaching our undergraduate Milton class,
I can say that for some undergradutes, the term "Christian
humanism" has no meaning at all.

Some of this is just deficiency in their history background.

Other students, usually from conservative Christian
backgrounds, have been told that 'humanism' is godless
atheism.  Rarely, some have been told that Greek myth
is 'paganism' and is virtually the same as Satan worship.

For all of these students, coming to understand Milton's
subtle yet pervasive classicism is difficult.

Cynthia

.
Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU