[Milton-L] PL and the Sabbath and classical myth

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Mon Dec 20 10:51:44 EST 2004

>I'm  told that the Sabbatical cessation of work--among
American
>Puritans anyway--had to do with more than liturgical
worship. That is,
>it provided an opportunity for procreation. During the
working week,
>folks were just too tuckered out.

I am told it also resulted in New England baked beans - you
started those the day before and they could simmer and keep
hot all Sunday on the hearth without the cook having
to 'work.' This may be a legend, but a pleasant one here in
the Shenandoah Valley where we woke up to bright sun and
temperatures in the single digits.
Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU
JMU Safe Zones participant