[Milton-L] Re: Books, documents and texts

Boyd M Berry bberry at mail1.vcu.edu
Wed Dec 15 10:11:50 EST 2004

Aren't we talking about something familiar?  Wasn't that hoary
triumverate--Chaucer, Shakespeare, Milton--formulated by people who wanted
to argue that analyzing and writing about English literature could be
intellectually viable?  When I was in college in late 50's and early 60's,
there were still arguments about whether the study of American writing was
"valid."  In the late 60's, there was a vibrant department meeting at
Indiana to debate whether we should create a course in African American
writing.  And in the 80's, undertakings like wwp at Brown impllicitly
argued that we could study writing by women.

Boyd Berry