[Milton-L] Re: Books, documents and texts

Dan Knauss daniel.knauss at mu.edu
Tue Dec 14 09:34:22 EST 2004

As I understand Gioia, the point is not that one desires poetry that the
critics can digest easily but rather poetry that provides ample
opportunities for the literati to display their critical prowess to their
reading community. Criticism in this context is essentially aesthetic
criticism, which operates according to an evolving tradition of values and
ideals within a certain community. Even if the political and anthropological
significance of those values and ideals are mused over by the critic, they
are not the main focus. This is not first-order or "scientific" analysis; it
is a secular, bourgeois version of the kind of intra-communal hermeneutic
practiced by "traditional" theologians and teachers in the various sects of
the Abrahamic religions. It has personal and communal ordering functions.
(See, for instance, Matthew Arnold and esp. the emergence of English
Literature as a discipline--apart from Philology.) It's a bit more complex
than the "poetry is what WE, not the [insert despised other] is NOT reading"
thesis, but that's approximately correct.