[Milton-L] Re: Books, documents and texts

Brad Irish birish at bu.edu
Tue Dec 14 09:57:07 EST 2004

Just as a brief word of caution: trying to conflate "traditional," musical
hip-hop with open-mike rap (which, I assume, is closer to slam poetry or
spoken word rap) could be problematic.  Recently, the Def Poetry Jam project
has attempted to bridge these two genres; its HBO program includes
performances from both spoken-word/slam artists and well-known contemporary
rappers.  Though the rappers perform their pieces acapella, their cadences,
deliveries, and poetic structures are all noticeably different from their
slam poet counterparts.  (In fact, they often recite verses from songs
they've already put to music.)

I may, however, be misunderstanding what is meant by "open-mike" rap--if so,
I apologize.