[Milton-L] Re: Books, documents and texts

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Tue Dec 14 08:43:44 EST 2004

>I've been able to pick enough about rap--or at least open
mike rap--to see
>connections with oral formulaic poetry.  I haven't done
enough with the topic to
>publish or anything, but I do point out the similarities I
see with my early
>British Lit survey students, with some pedagogical
advantages.  When I tell them
>that the closest modern analog to Beowulf is open mike rap,
I usually have their
>attention for the semester.

I confess to being someone who last listened to then-
contemporary music when the Beatles were all alive and
together - so how could I do a quick learn about oopen-mike
rap?

Thanks,
Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU