[Milton-L] Re: Books, documents and texts

Brad Irish birish at bu.edu
Mon Dec 13 19:54:32 EST 2004

Thank you for posting those comments.  Though they are refreshingly fair-minded, they are, it seems to me, still grounded on certain assumptions (both literary and social) which may be problematic.  For example:

"As individual texts for analysis, Snoop Dogg's "Doggy Style" or Wallace McRae's "The Cowboy Curmudgeon" offer a Harold Bloom or Helen Vendler little opportunity to display their critical chops."

What, I wonder, is the true meaning of this statement?  Are we concerned with the texts themselves, or with the ease with which our favorite critics can digest them? Though rap "texts" may provide little opportunity for Harold Bloom or Helen Vendler, they are a virtually untapped resource for the critic patient enough to establish a systematic technique by which they may be assessed.

Though I am not familiar with the current scholarship on hip hop, I get the impression that rap lyrics--considered not as social artifacts, but as poetic ones--fall into a kind of blindspot.  Perhaps once this problem has been tackled, we can begin to properly assess the significance of these "texts."