[Milton-L] Re: Books, documents and texts

James Rovira jrovira at drew.edu
Mon Dec 13 12:48:20 EST 2004

It could be that the author thinks what "passes for poetry" should be
more narrowly defined -- that some prose is being passed off as poetry,
and shouldn't even be given notice as "bad poetry," but simply
recognized as prose.

A sonnet is a clearly recognizable poetic form, for example.  It's not
too hard to tell the difference between a very good sonnet and a very
bad one, but there's no question that in both cases there's some kind of
attempt to write a poem.  I suspect that the author quoted below feels
that there is some question about this in some cases.  I've seen it
myself -- read a piece, and thought, isn't this really an essay?

Jim

PS Merry Christmas, Mr. Cox.