[Milton-L]

Nancy Charlton n.charlton at comcast.net
Sat Dec 11 18:14:56 EST 2004

Mike, there have been many printings and many editions of Paradise Lost
since it was first published. In order to ascertain the value of the book
qua book, we'd need to know the following:

Publisher
Editor, if applicable
Publication date and place
How the book is made and bound
Its condition
Whether annotated, and if so what kind of notes

As to the content, we on this list would agree that the value of PL as a
work of literature can't really be measured, as it has proved endlessly
thrilling, meaningful, and "interestine" to about 16 generations of English
-speaking people, and more than a few who've read it in translation.

Whether your book is of value to bibliophiles or not, if you haven't read
it--and it sounds like you haven't--go for it! Read it out loud preferably,
don't worry about all the allusions you don't understand, but just enjoy!

Nancy Charlton