[Milton-L] pl

lschwartz lschwart at richmond.edu
Mon Apr 12 11:48:10 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
  From: Deterritory
  To: milton-l at koko.richmond.edu
  Sent: Sunday, April 11, 2004 9:38 PM
  Subject: [Milton-L] pl

    hello fellow readers of Milton, and in particular Paradise Lost. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who is writing about Paradise Lost from a Deleuzo-Guattari perspective (Gilles Deleuze and Felix Guattari).

    Cheers

The only piece that comes to mind is William Flesch's essay, "The Majesty of Darkness," which can be found in Harold Bloom's Chelsea House collection of essays on Milton (Modern Critical Views:  John Milton, Chelsea House,1986).  This essay was substantially expanded and rewritten when it became the chapter of the same title in Flesch's book, Generosity and the Limits of Authority: Shakespeare, Herbert, Milton, which I think ought to get more attention from Miltonists than it does.  If I'm recalling correctly, the reference to Deleuze that plays an important part in the earlier version is not in the later one, which prosecutes a somewhat different--and stronger--argument, so I'm not sure what Flesch would say today about the relevance of Deleuze for his reading of Milton, but it's at least an example for you.  Maybe Billy can say more (I know he lurks and sometimes posts on this list).

In any case, I'd be very interested in hearing what sort of thing you have in mind.  I haven't thought myself directly about Milton in relation to Deleuze and Guattari, but I did do some informal work in a faculty seminar last year on some implications  their work may have for discussions of the history of English prosody.  I haven't sorted this out in a very rigorous way.  In fact, I'm not really sure that they provide anything more than a new vocabulary for discussing some very old ideas, but there may be something there.  As far as Milton is concerned, sections 5 and 7 of Mille Plateaux might offer some interesting food for thought.

Louis Schwartz
Louis Schwartz
Associate Professor of English
University of Richmond