[Milton-L] A note on Milton's prosody...

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Tue May 18 14:58:09 EDT 2010

Yep -- the context is a discussion of feminine vs. masculine endings.
The quoted passage is the last line of a footnote describing Milton's
dislike of feminine endings.  I won't vouch for anything Fry says
about English poetry, and in fact correct him with my students on a
couple of points, but his text is great for getting novice poets
relaxed and started in on writing poetry.  In order of sophistication
of introductory poetry texts, I'd put Fry at the bottom, then Rhian
William's The Poetry Toolkit above that, then Fussell's book after
that.    Williams's book is a little less sophisticated than Fussell's
in that it's very consciously designed to be an easily-accessible
textbook for undergrads, with bullet points, definitions, text set
apart in bubbles and big headers, etc.  Fussell's book, in contrast,
is more a series of essays on poetry, so more nuanced.

Jim R