[Milton-L] Adam and Eve alone

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 31 16:18:43 EDT 2010

Jim, this might help:

qara' to call, name, give name to, call by

shem name

'ishshah woman

I'll place these in the relevant verses (using just the dictionary form):

Gen 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought [them] unto Adam to see what he would call (qara') them: and whatsoever Adam called (qara') every living creature, that [was] the name (shem) thereof. 20 And Adam gave (qara') names (shem) to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him . . . . Gen 2:23 And Adam said, This [is] now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called (qara') Woman ('ishshah), because she was taken out of Man.

By the way, note that "woman" is 'ishshah, not 'ishshach (Nancy's spelling of Ishshach), so any wordplay on nachash would be even more of a stretch.

Jeffery Hodges