[Milton-L] Adam and Eve alone

Carol Barton cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 29 11:25:09 EDT 2010

To some degree, Michael: but the first object of Eve's worship (consciously or not) is *herself*: like Adam, she begins by wondering "where and who [she is], whence thither brought, and how"--but *unlike* Adam, it never occurs to her to ask *by whom*. Instead of looking for her Maker, as he does, she looks (with the same curiosity that Satan does, when he first sees Sin, who is his image, also) at the source of the "murmuring sound of water" and finding her reflection, falls immediately in love. Satan does not recognize Sin as the reification of his evil when they first encounter one another either--but his ignorance of her "meaning" doesn't change the fact that she is the first object of his love:

That day I oft remember, when from sleep
I first awak't, and found my self repos'd [ 450 ]
Under a shade of flours, much wondring where
And what I was, whence thither brought, and how.
Not distant far from thence a murmuring sound
Of waters issu'd from a Cave and spread
Into a liquid Plain, then stood unmov'd [ 455 ]
Pure as th' expanse of Heav'n; I thither went
With unexperienc't thought, and laid me downe
On the green bank, to look into the cleer
Smooth Lake, that to me seemd another Skie.
As I bent down to look, just opposite, [ 460 ]
A Shape within the watry gleam appeard
Bending to look on me, I started back,
It started back, but pleas'd I soon returnd,
Pleas'd it returnd as soon with answering looks
Of sympathie and love; there I had fixt [ 465 ]
Mine eyes till now, and pin'd with vain desire,
Had not a voice thus warnd me, What thou seest,
What there thou seest fair Creature is thy self,
With thee it came and goes: but follow me,
And I will bring thee where no shadow staies [ 470 ]
Thy coming, and thy soft imbraces, hee
Whose image thou art, him thou shalt enjoy
Inseparablie thine,