[Milton-L] Adam's side--Thank you all

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Sat Mar 6 15:44:08 EST 2010

Not trying to add anything to the discussion beyond a summation, but I'm
surprised to learn from it that there was no tradition favoring the left
rib, except for a minor misogynist one in Islam. Apparently, then, Milton
invented the detail so that unfallen Adam could say "next to my heart," and
fallen Adam could call it "sinister." It functions as an illustration of
Adam's change for the worse. Milton is found Not Guilty.

Michael