[Milton-L] "subjective states" (further)

richard strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Mon Mar 1 11:23:05 EST 2010

Dear Alan,

Let me ignore the tone and ad hominem quality of your remark, and take it as a
part of a dialogue.  Please explain how you would read this poetry.  I take it that
this poetry is indeed interested in "subjective states" even if the states in
question are not necessarily experienced by the author (though Petrarch, for
instance, insisted that he did experience them, and we have reason to believe
that Wyatt, Spenser, and Sidney did also).  Do you see this body of poetry as a
series of rhetorical exercises?  Please do explain your view (rather than merely
negatively characterizing what you take mine to be).