[Milton-L] Hellish flatulence?

Kim Maxwell kmaxwell at stanford.edu
Sat Feb 27 16:06:41 EST 2010

 Carol

But I think you make the point that makes mine.  Milton wants a comparison, a direct physical comparison.  Prelapsarian man had perfect digestion, absorbing everything he or she eats.  The only outcome is a non-noxious, completely bland vapor, wafted away harmlessly by the morning air.  This provides a perfect foil for all the other instances of flatulence and postlapsarian indulgence with odoriferous outcomes.  I don't see why it doesn't work (we may not like the scatological references, but I think John Leonard among others has argued effectively that Milton uses them, as jokes, but at times as earnest efforts of meaning).

This is slightly off the point, but if Adam and Eve have perfect digestion, and the garden is constructed by God the Son to have an automatic irrigation system, and it is in perfect harmony with its surroundings, why does it grow to excess, a suggestion of imperfection?  Or is that just how Adam and Eve see it?

Kim Maxwell