[Milton-L] two questions

Richard Durocher durocher at stolaf.edu
Wed Apr 29 14:31:16 EDT 2009

Dear Stephen,

   About pain, you may want to direct your student to my articles, "The
Wounded Earth in PARADISE LOST," in STUDIES IN PHILOLOGY 93 (1996):
93-115.   Yes, it's probably human or Satanic pain your student intended but
this geological version may be illuminating.

   About Eve's dream, a classic essay is W. B. Hunter's "Eve's Demonic
Dream," in ELH 13 (1946): 255-65.  A more recent, feminist reading is by
Margo Swiss, "Repairing Androgyny: Eve's Tears in PL," in SPEAKING GRIEF IN
ENGLISH LITERARY CULTURE, SHAKESPEARE TO MILTON (Duquesne, 2001).

  I'm currently finishing a book on Milton and the passions that touches on
both concerns.

  Good luck,

   Rich DuRocher