[Milton-L] Recitations of PL

Judith Herz jherz at alcor.concordia.ca
Thu Nov 6 14:33:55 EST 2008

Re: [Milton-L] Recitations of PLHi Angelica
 I'ts one degree of separation for the source was my husband who took David Daiches' s Milton course with Harold when they were undergraduates.  Unfortunately I can't give more info than that.
My purpose:  well I tell them to read aloud as much as possible in their own readings so that they get familiar with the sound and the rhythms and get to hear/see the words in ways they can't in silent reading.  The group readings are to make that more public, to get them to hear each other (they often get much better as the hours go by).  I wouldn't call these readings marathons...they have been more informal and have consisted of only the class members who showed up; there is no audience. I did it twice in my home (a long Saturday) and other times on consecutive or scheduled closely together afternoons at the university in a seminar room or sometimes a classroom with chairs arranged in a circle.We usually start at the point we've reached in class (more often than not at Book 4) and it's pretty much an hour a book.There are no assigned parts; each person reads a passage of some 20+ lines (stopping at a reasonable stopping point) and it goes round and round.  Enrollment in the course is between 45 and 50 and I'd say about 20-25 or so participate. There are no pictures as far as I know.
I'm a Professor at Concordia University in Montreal and more often than not teach a semester long Milton course each year.
Good luck with your paper.
all best
Judith

Judith Scherer Herz