[Milton-L] Antinomian Occupations

Jeffrey Shoulson jshoulson at miami.edu
Fri Feb 23 09:46:29 EST 2007

Abe Stoll's citation of Jason Rosenblatt's book is directly on
point.  See especially his first chapter, "Law and Gospel in Paradise
Lost," second chapter, which includes a section on "Mosaic and
Parliamentary Law in the Areopagitica," and his third chapter, "Moses
Traditions and the Miltonic Bard."
I've also just come across a relevant article for some work I've been
doing by the great intellectual and religious historian, Richard
Popkin, "Can one be a True Christian and a Faithful Follower of the
Law of Moses?  The Answer of John Dury."  It's printed in a 2004
collection of essays edited by Popkin and Martin Muslow, published by
Brill, called Secret Conversions to Judaism in Early Modern Europe.
Best,
Jeffrey Shoulson

Jeffrey S. Shoulson, Ph. D.
Associate Professor of English and Judaic Studies
University of Miami
PO Box 248145
Coral Gables, FL 33124-4632

(o) 305-284-5596