[Milton-L] Missing lines in Flannagan edition

Roy Flannagan Roy at gwm.sc.edu
Tue Feb 20 12:06:25 EST 2007

Somehow I feel the need to explain that my father, who was a
well-respected journalist with the Richmond News Leader and Times
Dispatch, Civil War historian, and novelist, was asked by the American
Tobacco Company that manufactured Lucky Strikes to expand a series of
articles about the history of tobacco written for the News Leader into a
general history to be distributed at the 1939 World's Fair.  I would
sadly report that my father was a lifetime smoker (I quit at about 20)
and that he died from Hodgkins disease, quite possibly abetted by the
smoking habit, in 1951.  My sister died of lung cancer, and my first
girlfriend is now dying of it.  Those of you who are still smoking,
please stop, and those of you who teach, please discourage your students
gently.

I should warn those Googling my name that my son, who teaches English,
film, and drama at the Governor's School for Science and Mathematics in
Hartsville, SC, will also come up under Roy C. Flannagan.  Please read
some of his movie reviews written for the Florence newspapers: they are
excellent!  Oh, and my grandfather, Roy K. Flannagan, was a physician
and public health official in Richmond, so he is apt to come up as
well.

No, I don't remember any evidence of Milton smoking, but someone else
might supply news of recreational use.  One website I consulted said M
was reported to be a user but gave no evidence, and the concordance to
M's prose gives no citation to tobacco, cigar, or even to pipe in the
sense of smoking instrument.

Roy F

>>> bcarlb at comcast.net 02/20/07 11:12 AM >>>
Missing lines in Flannagan editionThe lines are not missing from my
1998 'Riverside' Flannagan.

When checking to see if Prof. Flannagan has other editions of Milton
complete, I found that Roy C. Flannagan has an interest I hadn't known
about (not that I should have any reason to know):
The Story of Lucky Strike Cigarettes 1939 World's Fair Edition .

Reminds of the quip "if Homer didn't write the Iliad it was someone
else with the same name."

Carl

Not that it's pertinent, but did M. smoke?