[Milton-L] queer milton?

Charles Whitney whitney at unlv.nevada.edu
Mon Feb 19 21:14:13 EST 2007

I'm late to this discussion but a pertinent question might be, where and why
heterosexuality? Before God used it hermaphroditically to beget the Son,thereby
linking it to sexual reproduction, was it not just a queer and funky option
of the polymorphic angelic repertoire?  (So despite his celebrity that grand
queen Raphael might want to
couple with both Adam and Eve but is on duty).  How was it that this option,
one perhaps as undeserving as the serpent species Satan chose, became the
vehicle for the representation of sin's multiplication, as a sort of narrowing
of that
wonderful polymorphism, and then the method of reproduction used on Earth as
well?  Another of
God's droll jokes? Or because, through foreknowledge of the Son's sacrifice,
that form was already ineluctably linked to death? Male and female--it's a
mystery to me.
Charles Whitney
English Dept.
University of Nevada
Las Vegas, NV 89154-5011
Early Responses to Renaissance Drama (with finale "Milton's Shakespeare")
http://www.cambridge.org/us/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=9780521858434