[Milton-L] 2 great iPhotos--Location of Milton's burial

Carol Barton cbartonphd at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 10 13:46:09 EST 2007

Yes, Fr. Mike--it's true that no one knows exactly where he's buried (but we
do know the location within a few feet). That's because--as I noted
earlier--he was buried in an open area (a crypt) rather than in a private
tomb, with other parishoners--most interestingly to us, for a number of
reasons, the man who entered his burial in the church register--as well as
John Speed, Martin Frobisher, and others--nearby. Custom was to place a
cenotaph over the exact spot, and/or a gravestone (that is, a stone floor
tile) in the floor. He had the second, originally, but it was removed about
two years after for repairs to the floor, and not replaced until the 18th
century. The story of that later campaign to honor him is an interesting
one.

Best to all,

Carol Barton