[Milton-L] John Brown and Samson

Matthew Stallard ms493101 at ohio.edu
Mon Sep 25 12:50:15 EDT 2006

I'm not sure that we must read the designation of "Nazarite" as an explicit
reference to Samson. A number of OT figures took the Nazarite vows
(abstaining from product of the vine, no razor upon the head, etc.),
including the prophet Samuel. Being a Nazarite involved living a life of
self-sacrifice and deprivation. The term could highlight one who practices
an extreme version of a given religion but does not necessarily indicate an
antinomian resort to violence.

Matthew Stallard
Ohio University
Department of Language and Literature

--On Monday, September 25, 2006 12:07 AM -0500 "Arnold, Margaret"