[Milton-L] Lawes' Comus: "just accent" in musical settings and in reading aloud

carl bellinger bcarlb at comcast.net
Thu Sep 14 17:30:08 EDT 2006

    Lawes' settings are "through composed:"  the accentuation follows the
sense of the text, the rhetoric, rather than the bar structure of the music.
All good musical settings, of course, will frame the sense of the words
nicely, but in Lawes the placement of accent is so rigorously determined by
verbal expression that the musical bar structure seems radically submerged
at times.  Compare early 18th treatments of how to read PL aloud** which
urge the reader to follow the sense absolutely, _not_ the meter, in order to
instantiate the harmonies of Milton's verse. Milton's praise of Lawes is to
the point: "[his] well-measured song first taught our English music how to
span words with just note and accent, not to scan with Midas' ears,
committing short and long."  Repetitive metrical regularities --whether of
alternating syllables, or of end-stopped lines, or of the down beat in each
musical measure-- are potentially tiresome things in themselves, and
moreover they work against the development of grandeur, magnificence,
rhetorical scope. This approach to setting English verse to music was short
lived. As was also perhaps the parallel approach to reading verse aloud. The
change of taste is wonderfully evident in Johnson's lament that "the music
of the English line," which --even in the best case-- strikes the ear only
faintly, is essentially lost altogether in the unrhymed verse of Milton's
epic.

Carl

**John Mason _et al_.
Splendid page-and-verse references to Mason, and his ilk, as they treated
Milton's verse, were very kindly provided to Milton-L [on 4/15/2005 ] by
Prof. John Shawcross.