[Milton-L]: Uriel Gliding Down a Sunbeam

Jameela Lares Jameela.Lares at usm.edu
Tue Jan 31 10:42:29 EST 2006

Quoting James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com>:

> We do know Milton was familiar with
> "thrice great Hermes" so it doesn't seem unreasonable to infer from this
> that he was familiar with other gnostic sources as well.

I enjoyed your discussion, but on the point referenced above, I usually hear
Renaissance understandings of Hermes Trismegistus lumped in with what they
understood as "Platonism" (i.e., as filtered through Plotinus and later Ficino,
etc.) rather than with Gnosticism, which was seen as rather blatantly
heretical, no?

Jameela
--
Jameela Lares, Ph.D.