[Milton-L] pastoral and Brokeback Mountain

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Sat Jan 21 23:25:05 EST 2006

Miltonists -

Having now seen "Brokeback Mountain" for the second time, and
having been deeply moved again, I have a speculation for the
list.

My speculation is this: that, in part, the movie appeals to
and engages its audience at some level as pastoral ... and
that the wrenching sadness of it is that the pastoral fails,
that it cannot embrace the complexity of loves the movie
shows us.  And I do not forget that one of the functions of
pastoral is, sometimes, to be critical of the 'real' world.

I would welcome your responses. And if you have not seen the
movie, and this moves you to do so, blessings!

.
Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU
JMU Safe Zones participant