[Milton-L] Paradise Lost

Beth Bradburn elizabeth.bradburn at wmich.edu
Mon Nov 28 12:38:28 EST 2005

Elsewhere in PL Milton shifts between past and present tense as a way of
shifting between points of view.  (In Book I, for example, a change to
present tense often accompanies an emphasis on Satan's perceptual
experience at the moment.)  Perhaps this passage uses that technique,
although in a way so highly compressed as to be nearly invisible.

Beth Bradburn