[Milton-L] [Fwd: Re: When and how did the canon die?]

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Nov 20 11:30:39 EST 2005

Jameela Lares wrote:

>   Just so, Milton
> is really good.  He's not going to go away.

This, I suspect, is a non sequitur. Milton is indeed 'really good,' but
it does not necessarily follow from that that he will not go away.

There are, and increasingly will be, simply more "really good" writers
in the world than can be held in human consciousness. Rather many of
them "will go away." I think this perspective, incidentally, throws
light on the Temptation of Athens. That episode is perhaps the earliest
implicit recognition of the flood of authors (not just bad authors) that
Martinus Scriblerus speaks of in his introduction to the Dunciad.

Carrol