[Milton-L] O Eve, in evil hour...

John Geraghty johnegeraghty at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 13 21:24:29 EST 2005

Perhaps another angle to explore that I have not seen mentioned in this context is a palindromic connection between  live and evil.  Eve (livE) created by God as the antidote for Evil (and, obviously, Eve being a palindrome as well).

Strongs lists

2332
Chavva
causatively from 'chavah' (2331); life-giver; Chavvah (or Eve), the first woman:--Eve

2421
chayah
khaw-yaw'a primitive root (compare 'chavah' (2331), 'chayah' (2421)); to live, whether literally or figuratively; causatively, to revive:--keep (leave, make) alive, X certainly, give (promise) life, (let, suffer to) live, nourish up, preserve (alive), quicken, recover, repair, restore (to life), revive, (X God) save (alive, life, lives), X surely, be whole.
http://www.sacrednamebible.com/kjvstrongs/STRHEB23.htm

There is also precedent in this to explore as in poems such as the following excerpt playing on Ave \Eva :

Ca Eva nos tolleu
Parays'e Deus
Ave nos y meteu;
porend', amigos meus:
Entre Av'e Eva.
http://oldpoetry.com/poetry/5889

And a more postive exploration by Hildegard von Bingen (you can easily google for specific examples in her works):

the images and allegories used to refer to the Mary are among the richest and most varied of her work, in accordance with the importance the feminine element played. For example, the Virgin is seen as the redeemer of Eve's original sin (Ave/Eva), or as the flowered branch of the tree of Jesse (wordplay Virgo=Virgin/Virga=Branch), or as the dawn above which Jesus' sun rises.

http://www.goldbergweb.com/en/magazine/composers/1998/03/71_print.php

And a review of "EVE: A BIOGRAPHY" By Pamela Norris

She ends Eve's biography by showing that, although few and far between, there is a scattering of women's accounts throughout history that tell Eve's side of the story. One of the earliest such accounts is that of Abbess Hildegard von Bingen, a religious scholar during the 11th century. Hildegard viewed Eve's character, including her sexuality, as much more symbolic of the divine nature than Adam's, and as Norris puts it "offered women dignity and hope."

http://www.csmonitor.com/atcsmonitor/specials/women/lit/lit122399.html

Also ref: http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/rashoaf/duality/front/pref.htm

-John

His soL returned the same way it went owt.

To Miltons BRAIN the icy fluid from his broad cold palm

B  ut Milton entering my FOOT I saw in the nether
R  egions of the Imagination; also all men on Earth,
A  nd all in Heaven, saw in the nether regions of the Imagination
In Ulro beneath Beulah, the vast breach of Miltons descent.

F our Universes round the Mundane Egg remain Chaotic
O ne to the North. named Urthona; One to the South. named Urizen;
O ne to the East, named Luvah: One to the West, named Tharmas
T hey are the Four Zoa's that stood around the Throne Divine!

For that portion namd the Elect: the Spectrous body of Milton:
Redounding from my left FOOT into Los's Mundane space,

T errific! and each mortal brain is walld and moated round
W ithin: and Og and Anak watch here; here is the Seat
O f Satan in its Webs; for in brain and heart and loins
G ates open behind Satans Seat to the City of Golgonooza

Descending down into my Garden, a Human Wonder of GOD

 And Milton collecting all his fibres into impregnable strength
D escended down a Paved work of all kinds of precious stones
O ut from the eastern sky; descending down into my Cottage
G arden: clothed in black. severe & silent he descended.

The TOAD and venomous Newt; the Serpent clothed in gems and gold:

D eath Couch, in the caverns of death, in the corner of the Atlantic.
A nd in the midst of the Great Assembly Palamabron pray'd:
O God protect me from my friends, that they have not power over me
T hou hast giv'n me power to protect myself from my bitterest enemies

D olorous that ran thro all Creation a Double Six-fold Wonder:
A way from Ololon she divided and fled into the depths
O f Miltons Shadow as a Dove upon the stormy Sea.
T hen as a Moony Ark Ololon descended to Felphams Vale